With Tagging, you can quickly tag chosen users and use those tags later on as a parameter to create a particular Segment. You can tag users already tracked within the People tab either within a tab itself or with a file. Use tags to better Segment your users and target them more accurately. Tags are great for highlighting and targeting specific customers - they should be specific to your product. You can use tags not only to create specific Segments but also when you’d like to exclude certain users from a Segment. We're sure you'll find them helpful!
In this article, you'll learn how to create tags and how to tag users.
This feature is available for Standard PRO and Enterprise users.
How to add or remove a Tag
- Go to the People tab. To add a tag, click People tags on the bottom-left side of the screen.
- You'll be redirected to the People tags settings page. Here you can add new tags, remove existing ones, and see how many free slots you have left for tags.
- Click the Create new tag button to add a new tag.
- Provide a tag name in the Title field and then click the Save changes button.
Note that only alphanumeric characters with underscore and dash are supported.
- You'll see your added tag on the list and the name of the user who created it. You'll also see the number of available slots left. Currently, you can add up to 20 tags.
- To remove a tag, hover over the tag and click the Remove button.
How to tag a user in the People tab
- While in the People tab, select specific users and click Tag selected. The button will be disabled if you don't have any tags added.
- You'll see a modal window where you can select a tag from existing tags.
- Save your changes by clicking the Tag users button.
- You'll see that the users now have added tags.
- You can also see tags on a user's profile page.
- Now, with tagged users, you can create a Segment with tags as parameters.
- To remove tags from the users, select desired users and click Remove tags.
How to tag a user from external data
To get started, you'll need a file (CSV, XLSX or TXT formats only) with the emails or UIDs of the users you want to tag. Inline Manual will read only the first column of the document. The other columns will be ignored.
These users should already be under the People tab, as you're not importing users, just tagging them. Currently, you can only tag users based on Email or UID values. If you are going to use emails, the email has to be shared with Inline Manual as part of the email field in People tracking. If the users do not match the profile (they are not under the People tab already), they won't be tagged.
You can download example files here:
- Once you have a file, in the People tab, click the Tag users button and select Tag from external data from the drop-down menu. This option will be disabled if you don't have any tags added.
- You'll see a modal window where you can upload a file (5MB maximum).
- Then, select a data type that's in the file - Email or UID.
- Finally, select tags and click on Tag users.
- You will see the notification that the task is in progress and then a confirmation message when the task is finished.
- Once the task is finished, you can filter out users with tags by adding parameters. In the parameter, you should use the full tag.
Tags can be used for a variety of purposes. Here are some ideas:
- Autolaunch a message about a feature the user has mentioned during a sales call - data exported from the sales (CRM) application.
- Autolaunch a message with a discount code based on the user's previous activity - data exported from an analytics application.
- Autolaunch a message to users who attended your webinar while it's still fresh in their mind - data exported from conferencing application.
- Reduce churn by targeting users based on health score and showing them what else they can do within the product - data exported from customer success tracking application.